Sunday, April 17, 2011

Educated out of Creativity

In this video Sir Ken Robinson stated that schools are killing creativity. He thinks that as children we are the most creative and as we enter school that creativity is lost and educated out of us. Something I took away from this video was that if we are afraid to be wrong we will never invent an original idea. He also says that as we progress through school we are tested on our ability to memorize and to never be wrong. Robinson said that as we are educated we become more and more afraid to be wrong. This is very true because when we take tests because we want to do well and not get anything wrong. In class students are afraid to ask questions for fear that they will be wrong. While delivering this talk Robinson had very effective speaking techniques. These included volume and vocabulary that everyone would understand. He also incorporated stories that would complement the main idea and make that idea easier to understand. Robinson had a very effective presentation style because he kept everyone in the room interested. He frequently told jokes that accented the story and helped the meaning of his idea become clear. What matters in this talk is the fact that the teachers now are educating a new generation for jobs that haven't even been invented yet. What matters is that the creativity that is in all of us as children is lost when we grow up. What matters is that the creativity that has been lost is what we will need when we are adults and looking for a job. These all apply to me personally because I am being educated in the system that is educating me out of creativity. In my English class we were told that our final will be a TEDxtalk. We were given a topic and told to start preparing. Instintly I was lost along with many of my peers, we were expecting a rubic or something else to tell us what to do. Now many people in the class have no idea what they are going to present. We were given the freedom to be creative and we didn't have any idea how to be creative. This applys to education because they are the ones preparing us and they don't know what to prepare us for. This applies to the world because most of my generation around the world is being educated just like I am and therefore when we are older we will have to figure out what we have to do to get jobs. I am being prepared for the jobs that do not exsist yet and that is personally scary. It affects me because my future is uncertain along with most every kid in my generation. It affects education because they are the ones who are preparing us for this uncertain future. The creativity lost through education will be needed in the future applies to me because when I am out of college I will be searching for a job and that job might require the creativity I lost throughout schooling. This applies to education because the education I am receiving is what is taking away my creativity. This applies to the world because the creativity that companies will be demanding is being taken away from many children that will need it in the future. This could be very dangerous because when we get to that age to find a job how will we get one? If we are not qualified for a jo because we have no creativity what are we suppossed to do? The future is daunting and if the system that is suppossed to be getting us ready for the world is acutally hurting our chances then how are we really prepared?

No comments:

Post a Comment